BRASA XIII Call for Proposals
Posted on March 5th, 2015
The 13th International Congress of the Brazilian Studies Association (BRASA) will take place between March 31 and April 2, 2016 at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, USA. The Congress program will include academic panels, invited speakers, plenary sessions, and cultural activities.
Guidelines for Proposals
- BRASA Accepts Two Types of Proposals
- Individual papers, which in the case of acceptance, will be assigned by the program committee to a panel with similar topic.
- Complete panels, for which all participants are already included in the initial proposal. Besides the regular presenters, a panel may also include the following roles:
- Chair (required) – Someone who leads the panel and who is responsible for communicating with Congress organization. The chair may or may not present a paper in the panel.
- Moderator (optional) – Someone who will discuss the presentations by the end of the panel. The moderator should not be one of the presenters in the panel.
Each panel will last for about 2 hours, and should include at least 30 minutes for discussion immediately following the presentations.
BRASA suggests panels to have four or five papers. Panels with fewer participants may have other individual papers added to it by the committee. Panels with 5 or more papers are suggested to be divided into multiple panels.
- All proposals must be submitted through the portal https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=brasa2016.
The Program Committee will not consider proposals submitted in any other format. Please check the step-by-step instructions for single paper and for panel submissions.
- Each participant may submit only one proposal and present only one paper in the Congress. However, a participant can also serve as chair or moderator in different panels.
- Participants do not need to be BRASA members in order to submit a proposal; however, if their paper is accepted, they have to become a member and register for the event for attending the Congress.
To become a member of BRASA or to renew your membership, please visit http://www.regonline.com/BRASA15-16.
- The Program Committee will give preference to complete panel proposals with participants from different universities and that have an interdisciplinary focus.
- The deadline for proposals is May 15, 2015.
In case of questions, please contact BRASA secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BRASA Announces the 2014-2015 Robert Reis Book Award Competition
The Roberto Reis BRASA Book Award recognizes the two best books in Brazilian Studies published in English that contribute significantly to promoting an understanding of Brazil. The award honors Roberto Reis, one of the founders of BRASA, who was committed to developing Brazilian Studies in the United States. The two best books will receive US$200 awards each. The honorable mention, if granted, shall receive a certificate.
Guidelines for Submission:
For a book to be considered for the award, its author must be a member of BRASA and up-to-date in dues.
The book must have been published in English between January 2014 and December 2015.
The author of the book must submit a cover sheet (download form) by e-mail to the BRASA Secretariat at email@example.com, and submit a printed copy of the cover sheet and a copy of the book directly to each member of the committee.
Members of the 2014-2015 Roberto Reis Book Award Committee
John Burdick – Chair of the Committee, 209 Maxwell Hall, Department of Anthropology, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244
Paulina Alberto, 2705 Haven Hall, Department of History University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109
Christopher Dunn, Spanish & Portuguese Department 304 Newcomb Hall Tulane University New Orleans, LA 70118
Deliberation, award, and announcement of awards
The Secretariat will send a simple e-mail to each author indicating that the submission has been received. The submission deadline will be December 1, 2015. (Note: Books published in December 2015 may be submitted by December 30, 2015.) The committee will make decisions on the awards, plus any honorable mentions. The Secretariat will send a letter to the winners and announce the winners through the BRASA website and digest by February 15, 2016. Announcement of the winners will also be made at the next BRASA XIII International Conference at Brown University, Providence, RI, March 31-April 2, 2016.
Call for Nominations for the BRASA Lifetime Contribution Award
The Brazilian Studies Association (BRASA) is pleased to announce the call for nominations for the BRASA Lifetime Contribution Award. We invite members of the Brazilian studies community to submit their nominations for the fifth recipient of this prestigious award, which will be presented at the BRASA XIII International Congress, to be held at Brown University, March 31-April 2nd, 2016.
Reflecting the primary mission of BRASA, the goal of this award is to recognize an individual with both a record of outstanding scholarly achievement and significant contributions to the promotion of Brazilian studies in the United States. The BRASA Executive Committee especially wishes to emphasize the criterion of lifetime contributions. Nominees can be from any discipline or nationality but must have spent the greater part of their career involved in U.S.-based Brazilian studies activities. Nominees need not be members of BRASA.
Nominations will be reviewed by a BRASA award committee and voted on by the BRASA Executive Committee. The recipient will be announced before BRASA XIII in 2016. The recipient will also be invited to address the Congress. The BRASA vice president will present the recipient with a plaque of appreciation.
Nominations should consist of one substantial letter of recommendation outlining the accomplishments and contributions of the individual; a CV; and a list of five references prepared to provide additional letters, if necessary. Materials can be either in English or Portuguese. One nomination per individual is sufficient. No self-nominations or posthumous nominees will be accepted.
The deadline for nominations is May 31, 2015. Nominations and questions should be emailed to Bryan McCann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BRASA dues cover two calendar years, January – December. To check your membership category and join BRASA please visit the BRASA Enrollment Portal at https://www.regonline.com/BRASA15-16.